TEHRAN - Iran has approved eight candidates for the presidential election due next month, rejecting President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's top aide in a major setback to the hawkish leader of the Islamic republic. Ahmadinejad criticised the decision to remove Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei from the final candidate list and said it was an act of "oppression". He announced plans to take up the case with ...
Iran's first nuclear power plant in Bushehr could start working "shortly", Xinhua reported Wednesday, quoting Russia's state atomic energy agency Rosatom. "I have never announced the exact timing because our absolute priority is safety and the final decision will be made by the customer," Rosatom chief Sergei Kirienko told reporters. He added that Rosatom completely understands Iran's concerns ...
Bahrain's Interior Minister Wednesday said an Iranian drone was spotted in Bahrain's airspace in the northern part of the country near Saudi Arabia. Lt Gen Shaikh Rashid bin Abdullah Al Khalifa said Iran was increasingly meddling in the internal affairs of both Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, reports Xinhua. He added that Bahrain had uncovered a terror cell linked to Iran. "Iran's continual spying ...
(MENAFN) Due to higher sales to China, Iran's government is negotiating to increase the iron ore exports tax by up to 40 percent, reported Reuters.During the first three months of the year, Iranian iron ore exports went up 48 percent compared with last year's same period.This boost may lead to increase the annual revenue to USD3 billion at current prices.The high tax percentage may cut ...
Herman Nackaerts, Deputy Director General and Head of the Department of Safeguards of the International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA, left, talks with Iran's Ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA, Ali Asghar Soltanieh, right, as they face the media at the permanent mission of Iran in Vienna, Austria, Wednesday, May 15, ...
My Own Private Idaho [DVD]
For his third feature film, writer/director Gus Van Sant was finally able to bring to the screen a story he had been trying to tell for years about Portland street hustlers. His critical and commercial success with Drugstore Cowboy (1989) had made him a name in the bur ... ...
Iran further expanded its nuclear enrichment capability by installing hundred advanced centrifuges in a uranium enrichment plant, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said on ...
International nuclear inspectors reported on Wednesday that Iran had increased its nuclear production while negotiations with the West dragged on this spring, but the new information suggested that Tehran had not gone past the "red line" that Israel's leaders have declared could incite military ...
The U.S. Senate has unanimously approved a resolution affirming America's firm opposition to Iran's nuclear ambitions, and pledging full support for Israel in the event of an Israeli military strike against Iran's nuclear facilities. The chance to slam Iran’s government and speak up for Israel brought a rare moment of complete bipartisan unity to the Senate. Republican ...
Metals swap deals with Iran by Switzerland-based commodities giants Glencore Xstrata and Trafigura could have been a way of skirting international sanctions against Tehran over its nuclear program, according to a confidential UN Panel of Experts report seen by ...
In a new report, the global rights group Amnesty International (AI) documents abuses in 159 countries and territories that it says were "inflicted by those in power on those who stand in the way of their vested interests." The findings were published on May 23 in Amnesty International's annual report, "The State of the World's Human Rights," for 2012. It ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Plaza, New York City
After a prompt and friendly check-in at The Plaza I was escorted by the bellman to the 15th floor to ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Iran HeraldIran Herald | Iran Issues, News from Local & Global Sources
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Iran Herald is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Iranian news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Iranian news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Iran news, the weather forecast for Iran you'll find it all in the Iran Herald.
From Bam to Tehran, the Iran Herald should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
TEHRAN - Iran has approved eight candidates for the presidential election due next month, rejecting President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's top aide in a major setback to the hawkish leader of the Islamic republic.
Ahmadinejad criticised the decision to remove Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei from the final candidate list and said it was an act of "oppression". He announced plans to take up the case with country's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
The candidates approved by Iran's Guardian Council of Constitution for the presidential race included the country's nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili and former foreign minister Ali Akbar Velayati
Also approved for the June ballot are prominent lawmaker Gholam Ali Haddad Adel and Tehran mayor Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf
The approved candidates are all top Khamenei loyalists and are hard-liners associated with the clerical establishment.
Former chief of the Revolutionary Guards Mohsen Rezaei and a little known former minister, Mohammad Gharazi, have also been cleared.
Also, Iran's former nuclear negotiator Hassan Rouhani as well as former oil and telecommunication minister Mohammad Gharazi, the moderate candidates, have been approved as qualified by the council. ...
- Penitent Warner fined 5750 dollars by CA for Twitter rant
- BCCI places onus of IPL fixing probe on police
- Real Sociedad coach to leave at end of season
- Uganda signs new national football coach
- Andy Flower bans England on Ashes talks
- Breakthrough research shows Vit C kills drug resistant TB
- Brad Pitts drug tales
- Azad meets US Health Secretary Sebelius
- Indo-China bilateral meet on healthcare sector held at Geneva
- Vitamin C kills drug-resistant TB bacteria
- Hollywood star Steven Seagal visits Chechnya
- Stewart Swift new best friends
- West urges Smith to get back to studio
- Dannii Minogue calls fame awful
- JLo to perform on Britains Got Talent
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Cleanliness drive in Kashmir provide impetus to tourism
- Arena International Aviation to train Chinese pilots for Hainan Airlines
- Thawatchai Arunyik named next governor of Tourism Authority of Thailand
- Hanoi considering tourism police to protect tourists from street vendors
- U.S. dollar slips against euro after Fed official remarks
- First China manufacturing shrinkage in 7 months HSBC
- Ford to cease Australian manufacturing
- $A lower after China data Fed comments
- China May HSBC flash PMI slips to seven-month low on weak demand
- Twister that hit Oklahoma caused $2 bn in damage
- FBI kill Florida man known to Boston bombing suspects
- US Senate panel clears key immigration reform bill
- Iran allows eight candidates for presidential race
- North Korean special envoy visits China to win confidence
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Iran Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Iran allows eight candidates for presidential race
- Irans n-power plant to be launched shortly Russian agency
- Iranian drone spotted in Bahrains airspace
- Iran to increase iron ore exports tax by up to 40
- U.N. atomic agency Iran expands nuclear technology